Thursday, July 5, 2012

Traveling and Going Back on Gluten

Sorry for the long delay in posting. I went back to Indiana this past weekend for a good friend's wedding. Congrats to those two! It's so nice to see two people who are so in love decide to bind themselves together in such a way if that is their desire. :)

While I was traveling, I only got sick once thankfully. The unfortunate part was that the two friends I was traveling with bore witness to what contamination does to me. I was thrashing around on the bed, crying, and clutching my side for some time before the attack wore off. Thank God that was the only time I got sick while traveling!

Now, however, it's back to eating gluten. I started yesterday, and I have to say that I am surprised. The pain has been bearable, to say the least. It is a lot less than when I only ingest a miniscule amount of gluten. The flip side is that I seriously look like I'm drunk. Since I started eating this nefarious protein again, I have been experience some neurological problems. I have a tingling sensation in my hands and feet and have a very difficult time maintaining my balance. I have had to have by phenomenal boyfriend spot me and hold on to me every time I use stairs because if not, there is a good possibility of me falling either down or up the staircase, depending on the direction I'm going. Also, the haze in my brain is slowly setting back in. My attention span is beginning to decrease. Then there are a couple of GI problems as well. I won't go into too much detail, but should anyone read this who might consider getting tested, I'll include what happens to me. That doesn't mean that you'll experience my symptoms, but I sincerely hope they provide you with a starting point. As for the symptoms, my stomach gurgles right after I eat bread/gluten containing products. It is a veritable symphony. This morning, the changed in bowel habits started. I went from being constipated for a couple of days, which meant I should have had hard stools, to already having one easy bowel movement this morning.

So, one day down, 20 or so more to go before the procedure. Part of me wonders if getting an official Celiac diagnosis is worth the possible insurance hassle of having a pre-existing condition for insurance purposes, but then by not having it, how much do I hurt myself and my future kids. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment